MI HEARTSafe School Award Program
A HEARTSafe designation recognizes a school’s efforts to prevent sudden cardiac death of the young (SCDY) by preparing for a cardiac emergency. Members of this school community know how to recognize the signs of a sudden cardiac arrest and respond quickly by calling 9-1-1 and using CPR and an automated external defibrillator (AED) until EMS arrives.
How to become a MI HEARTSafe School
- A written cardiac emergency response plan, reviewed at least annually with staff.
- A cardiac emergency response team with current CPR/AED certification, sufficient to respond to an emergency during school hours AND during organized after-school activities and sports, if applicable.
- At least 10% of staff, 50% of coaches including 100% of head coaches, and 100% of P.E. staff with current completion of CPR/AED certification course*.
*Qualifying CPR/AED courses are the American Heart Association’s Heartsaver course and the American Red Cross’s CPR/AED course.
- A sufficient number* of accessible, properly maintained and inspected AEDs, ready to use, with signs identifying AED locations.
*Sufficient number is estimated by time to scene from recognition to AED placement within 2-5 minutes.
- The performance of at least one cardiac emergency response drill* per year.
*Including recognizing signs of sudden cardiac arrest and using the American Heart Association’s Chain of Survival: calling 9-1-1 and use of bystander CPR and AED until EMS arrive to provide advanced life support.
- All athletic pre-participation screening completed with the Michigan High School Athletic Association (MHSAA) form (updated in 2016).
MI HEARTSafe School designation is awarded for a period of three school years.
The application period for the 2020-2021 school year is OPEN! The 2020-2021 application period is open through May 15, 2021. The application is available and submissions must be entered electronically on survey monkey.
How to become a MI HEARTSafe School at no cost – Checklist for Administrators
For questions about MI HEARTSafe Schools Award Program and how to qualify and apply for MI HEARTSafe designation, please email MDHHS-MI-HeartSafe@michigan.gov.