MI HEARTSafe School Award Program
A HEARTSafe designation recognizes a school’s efforts to prevent sudden cardiac death of the young (SCDY) by preparing for a cardiac emergency. Members of this school community know how to recognize the signs of a sudden cardiac arrest and respond quickly by calling 9-1-1 and using CPR and an automated external defibrillator (AED) until EMS arrives.
How to become a MI HEARTSafe School
- A written cardiac emergency response plan, reviewed at least annually with staff.
- A cardiac emergency response team with current CPR/AED certification, sufficient to respond to an emergency during school hours AND during organized after-school activities and sports, if applicable.
- At least 10% of staff, 50% of coaches including 100% of head coaches, and 100% of P.E. staff with current completion of CPR/AED certification course*.
*Qualifying CPR/AED courses are the American Heart Association’s Heartsaver course and the American Red Cross’s CPR/AED course.
- A sufficient number* of accessible, properly maintained and inspected AEDs, ready to use, with signs identifying AED locations.
*Sufficient number is estimated by time to scene from recognition to AED placement within 2-5 minutes.
- The performance of at least one cardiac emergency response drill* per year.
*Including recognizing signs of sudden cardiac arrest and using the American Heart Association’s Chain of Survival: calling 9-1-1 and use of bystander CPR and AED until EMS arrive to provide advanced life support.
- All athletic pre-participation screening completed with the Michigan High School Athletic Association (MHSAA) form (updated in 2016).
MI HEARTSafe School designation is awarded for a period of three school years.
The application period for the 2019-2020 school year is OPEN! MI HEARTSafe School applications are open now. Due to the school closures in effect, the deadline for application submission is now June 15, 2020. Schools must submit completed applications online through this SurveyMonkey link.
How to become a MI HEARTSafe School at no cost – Checklist for Administrators
For questions about MI HEARTSafe Schools Award Program and how to qualify and apply for MI HEARTSafe designation, please email MDHHS-MI-HeartSafe@michigan.gov.