Developing a cardiac emergency response plan
Michigan law now requires that schools have a written cardiac emergency response plan. A cardiac emergency response plan includes recognizing the signs of sudden cardiac arrest, calling
9-1-1, and initiating the use of CPR and AED until local EMS arrives. Questions to consider in developing a cardiac emergency response plan:
- What defines a cardiac emergency?
- What are the signs of sudden cardiac arrest?
- How will the emergency response team and EMS be activated?
- What are the roles of the responders?
- How will students be managed?
The following documents were created by the Michigan Alliance for Prevention of Sudden Cardiac Death of the Young (MAP-SCDY) to assist Michigan schools with a written cardiac emergency plan template. These samples may be modified for use at your school, and should be reviewed by the appropriate legal counsel for your school.
- Contacting your local EMS – State of Michigan Medical Control Authorities Directory
These additional resources created by national organizations may also be helpful to schools developing a cardiac emergency response plan:
- Anyone Can Save a Life– A comprehensive emergency (SCA) response program for after-school practices and events.
- Medical Emergency Response Planning for Schools (Slideshow)
- Project ADAM Videos to assist schools to be prepared for cardiac emergency
Cardiac Emergency Response Drills
The following resources contain information about how to conduct cardiac emergency response drills.
- Drill Dr. Heart – Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association’s plan to prepare for sudden cardiac arrest
- Sudden Cardiac Arrest Association’s “Keep it Beating” Program – An educational program in two 45 minute sessions to raise awareness of SCA and the importance of bystander response
- MI HEARTSafe School Virtual Workshop: COVID-19 Edition
- MAP-SCDY Recommendations for Michigan School Cardiac Emergency Response Teams to Safely Respond to Sudden Cardiac Emergencies during the COVID-19 Pandemic
- Example virtual cardiac emergency response drill – Project ADAM
- Example virtual cardiac emergency response drill – Chelsea School District