Congenital Heart Defects Awareness Week
February 7-14, 2015
About 1 in 100 babies is born with a congenital heart defect (CHD)...
making CHDs the most common of all birth defects. This adds up to 40,000 newborns with CHDs per year in the United States, over 1,700 of those in Michigan.
The Michigan Department of Health and Human Services (MDHHS) is partnering with several organizations (see below) to promote CHD awareness. CHD Awareness Week is an annual awareness effort to help educate the public about congenital heart defects. We are asking you to partner with us as well and spread awareness about CHDs throughout your organization.
Today, approximately two to three million U.S. adults and children are living with CHDs. Please join us to promote awareness at your hospital and throughout your community. Please contact us with any questions or suggestions of others who would like to receive our CHD Awareness materials and information.
MDCH Materials for CHD Awareness Week:
Other ideas to promote CHD Awareness
- Create awareness bulletin boards (on unit, staff lounge, waiting areas, lunchroom, or cafeteria).
- Hang fliers and/or distribute information in lounges and waiting areas.
- Include information on your hospital's website highlighting your awareness activities and including links to other resources.
- Contact The Congenital Heart Information Network and ask that your CHD events be included on their website.
- Post information about CHD in social media, such as Facebook, websites, blogs, email signatures, and online newsletters.
- Send emails to hospital staff or print a message in a newsletter.
- Share stories of CHD patients from your hospital.
- Encourage staff participation in hospital activities like "wear red day" or distributing CHD Awareness day stickers.
- Decorate your unit using "heart" materials - including pictures created by pediatric patients or visitors, possibly using our "CHD Awareness Coloring Page."
If you would like a packet of materials, please let us know by contacting Kristen Thompson at email@example.com. Also, please let us know what your hospital is doing to promote CHD Awareness and send us pictures of your activities.
CCHD Screening in Michigan:
A new screening test has the potential to find some of the most critical heart defects in newborns. Newborn screening for critical congenital heart defects (CCHDs) using pulse oximetry is already taking place in some Michigan hospitals, and many others plan to begin screening soon. Let's do what we can to give every Michigan baby a chance to thrive.Visit www.michigan.gov/cchd for details.
CHD Awareness Week Events
- Hearts of Hope Michigan "Day for Hearts"
- Mended Little Hearts of West Michigan CHD Awareness Week Party