Genetic Health Services
Clinical Genetic Services
Genetic counseling is the educational process of giving patients and their family members information about birth defects, genetic diseases, or other medical conditions that tend to run in a family. A genetic evaluation may include a review of family history or medical records, or performing tests. It might include examining the patient or relatives who may be at risk.
You might benefit from a genetics clinic session if you have questions about:
- The cause of a medical condition or developmental problem.
- The chance of the same condition showing up in your children or other relatives.
- Available choices based on an understanding of medical genetics, existing treatments, and other factors.
- Recent genetic discoveries and current research about your condition.
- Where to find medical specialists, community resources and parent support groups in your area or nationally.
For more information on genetic services email email@example.com or call toll free 1.866.852.1247
Make the most of your Genetics Clinic visit
Communication is the key to a worthwhile visit so be prepared when you go to your visit! Here are a few tips to help you:
- Share information about your family's health history.
- Ask your genetics health care provider any questions you might have about the care or treatment you or a loved one is receiving.
- Ask your genetic counselor to explain a word or phrase if you do not understand.
- Write down your questions and bring them with you to your appointment.
- Help your genetics team by talking about any change in health status, no matter how small.
- Express your personal and cultural beliefs.
- Make informed personal decisions.
DISCLAIMER: The list of genetics clinics includes facilities in Michigan with geneticists and/or genetic counselors who are certified by the American Board of Medical Genetics or the American Board of Genetic Counseling. This directory is included for informational purposes only and does not constitute an endorsement by the Michigan Genetics Connection or any state/federal agencies. You may want to ask your own health care provider about a referral for genetic services.
Below is a brief listing of where you or your family members can go for genetic counseling services in Michigan. The outreach sites are staffed by genetics professionals from the medical centers.
| Ann Arbor
University of Michigan
| Cancer Genetics Clinic
| Ocular Genetics Clinic
| Breast and Ovarian
| Medical Genetics Clinic
| Pediatrics Genetics Clinic
| Neurogenetic Disorders Clinic
| Perinatal Assessment Center
Disorders/Differences of Sex Development
Beaumont Hospital - Dearborn
| Clinical Cytogenetics
Flint, Kalamazoo clinics by Michigan State University - 517.364.5860
Gaylord, Marquette, Traverse City by University of Michigan - 734.764.0579